I've decided that I cannot make art without a cause. Without purpose. Without taking a stance on an issue. I need to be able to take something that matters to me and make it beautiful enough to spark an interest about it in someone else. So for my final project, I am going to try to do just that.
My story is entitled "Waiting for Global Warming," a direct reference to Samuel Beckett's play,'Waiting For Godot.' It will be about two guys who have started a business selling ridiculous things that will "help people survive" after global warming hits-- but no one is buying. The whole time they are pushing around this cart of stuff (goggles, flippers, sunscreen, paddles, towels, floats, plastic water bottles, plastic ponchos) while having absurd conversations about the environment, just waiting for global warming to come so that they can make a profit from their business. After much waiting and extensive conversation, they come to terms with the fact that global warming is not coming. They decide that they have been waiting for days, and if it hasn't gotten here by now, then it's never coming. They exit the scene, and a bird falls dead out of the tree.
It's absurd and silly and relies heavily on good acting, which scares me. BUT, I did email a bunch of actors on our database and a few of them have gotten back to me in love with the script and so excited to do an audition with me....ME?! Audition for ME?! Whoa. Neat. Crazy. The only problem is that English isn't their native language. So depending on how the auditions go, I might have my script translated to Czech and then have subtitles- which might actually be cooler anyway.
This weekend was pretty relaxing. It has been raining a bit lately, but it has also gotten up to a pretty consistent 40 degrees, which has been great. Girls are already pulling out the skirts and dresses, which is silly really. It's a trick. You look outside and see the sun and hear birds chirping, and then you put on your Spring best and walk out to wait for the tram, and you start shivering.
Lately I have been obsessed with certain songs. Ones that sound chaotic at first, until you look up the lyrics and realize how absolutely stunningly beautiful they are. Specifically, My Girls and In The Flowers by Animal Collective. They can make me a bit nostalgic. Sometimes that's nice, though.
I actually considered making a movie about nostalgia. But I realized that's not possible without crossing a billion corny lines= the movie would be "so kitsch," as Paolo would say.
I'm playing my ukulele a lot.
Currently, Piazza, New York Catcher by Belle & Sebastian.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i love your idea. keep me posted on whether you do it in english or czech. can't wait to see it!
ReplyDeleteFor anyone who hasn't seen 'Wristcutters' (a film) then SEE it! You will immediately recognize Kazimir, who plays a Russian, but is actually from Atlanta (or some southern destination that I cannot remember...). Anyway - it's that good! Go Treez - with your wild & crazy yet socially responsible imagination! You are destined to be a icon in the art of film - or still life - or very simply - the art of life - not to be taken too seriously.
ReplyDeletethe Russian was from Florida
ReplyDelete