The title of this post was from what was being projected on the side of a building the other day. I'm not really sure what it meant, or if it was just translated awkwardly. But it made me smile.
Classes began yesterday. I had Screenwriting, Editing, and Acting, and then today I had Cinematography, Directing, and I was supposed to have Surrealism in European Film, but it was cancelled because my teacher is sick. Probably a cold. From the freezing cold weather. Blah. My classes are amazing, though. My teachers are so intelligent and interested in our ideas and my classes are small (6 people) so everyone is known and everyone's opinion matters.
Being mildly proficient on Final Cut Pro (the editing program I use for my films), learning Avid (an older program) will be tricky. But we went through a few shortcuts yesterday and its about the same. The layout of the program is entirely different and much uglier, but it is the Industry norm, so I had better get used to it.
Acting will be interesting since I don't really like being in front of the camera- or rather have never really tried so I don't know how I will do. I have only ever been in plays when I act, and they were all one-liners. Such as, "I just know you'll be successful," which debuted my acting career in the hit musical, Pets! put on by my 5th grade class. Since then there was a hiatus in my acting career. But who knows, maybe I'll be a famous actor one day. (ha!)
My bench project, which I will shoot this weekend will be entitled, "The Best of All Possible Benches," which is a reference to Pangloss's philosophy in Candide. It may change in my scriptwriting class tomorrow as we are going to critique and edit each other's screenplays, but here is the basic gist:
A guy is sitting on a bench, lights a cigarette and gets up to leave, but trips on the book, Candide. Puzzled and curious, he sits back down to read the book. Seeing the words, "The best of all possible worlds," he is intrigued and reads on. After finishing the book, he sits back pensively and puts his hand down to rest it on the bench and puts it right into a packet of ketchup, then tries to wipe it off on the bench and wipes it into some other goo, then gets frustrated and rests his head in his hands (which are covered in goo). Then you see a person (not their face, just a body) come to sit down on the bench and hands him a cloth. He accepts it and looks up to thank them to realize it is a very pretty girl. Love at first sight, smiles, laughs, and then fade to black.
Short, moderately simple, and the best I could come up with so if you don't like it you can kiss my butt.
It's about a minute long with no dialogue. I think I am going to use a song composed by Mark Mothersbaugh, who composed lot of the songs from The Royal Tenenbaums.
I have met so many amazing people here, which include my two roommates! One of them, David, is from Rockville Maryland (go figure) and went to Richard Montgomery! Small world. Paolo is from Croatia and the funniest person. He's super dramatic and calls me "ella!!! come. i cook you rice." he's the best. my apartment is still beautiful and amazing but because i don't have internet there isn't much to do. Hopefully I can get that fixed, but we will see. It might not happen which means I won't be able to blog as often or with many pictures. But I will try. Going to shoot some cool pictures of the city this weekend, so I'll post some soon.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Personally, I would like to see you post your short & silent benchmark film, as described.
ReplyDeleteyou rock.
ReplyDeleteand apprently none of my other comments worked, which is a shame, because they were multi-paragraph. blahhh