Ahoy!
It's freaking cold. There is snow on the ground and I shiver all the time, but I am also smiling all the time! Let me start from the beginning...
First of all, I was stuck in London for about 5 or 6 hours because I was too late to make my transfer flight. Bummer. But British people have adorable accents and I got to pretend to be British, which didn't exactly go over well when all I would say was, "Cup of tea!" They didn't really like that. My thoughts also had a British accent. Is that weird? Does that happen to anyone else?
I tried to stay awake by drinking black coffee, but that didn't help my tired eyes because while they were closing, my legs were all jittery. So then I tried to read some Voltaire, but my mind was too tired to try and decipher Pangloss' teachings. So I stopped all activity and ate a banana while I stared at the Departures wall to see where my gate was.
Once I got on the plane I passed out, and incidentally missed the meal. So until my GOOLASH about an hour ago, I hadn't eaten since my banana (this is the part where you go, "aw, poor theresa").
So we landed, snow everywhere. I was excited, but I was also freaking out on the inside because it was 7pm, and I wasn't sure if there would still be someone at my school to check me in and give me keys to my flat. And then where would I go? How would I get there? But I had to stay calm. One thing at a time. Get through customs. Check. Get a cart for your bags. Check. Get your bags. Check. Find a taxi. Check. Give him the address. Check....he stared at the map for a while. And when he said he spoke English, he meant that he knows "yes" and "no." great.
So we sped through the city, going 80 in a 30 speed zone and I was flying around in the back seat. We got to my school and there was a really nice girl there waiting for me. She took me to my flat and my jaw dropped. IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I can't really explain it so as soon as I can I will put up pictures of it. But I have a king size bed (this is the part where you take back the pity that you gave me before). My roommates, who are two guys- one from Croatia named Paolo and one guy from the US named David. The flat is big and we all have our own rooms. David's room has two posters of naked girls and his computer background is of a girl in a thong. That's all I'll say about that. Paolo seems very neat and strict. They both have smaller rooms and small beds. Somehow I ended up with the big room with the huge window and a king size bed. So I unpacked and went to bed.
Today I had to find my way to my orientation back at the school. It starts at 12 and the woman last night told me it takes about 40 minutes for new students, but about 20 minutes when you get the hang of the Tram (kind of like the Muni in San Fran)I hope that link worked.
I gave myself an hour and 30 minutes because I figured I would get lost (i'm still on my own at this point and have no internet in my flat and no cell phone...you can give me back your pity now if you'd like). So I walked 30 minutes in the wrong direction and knew it when I ran into a wall when I should have seen a park. Hmmm... Luckily, everyone under the age of about 50 was taught English in school, so most people speak it and I was able to get directions from passers by.
Quick note about the people. Probably the most unfriendly people you'll ever meet. They don't really smile. It actually has to do a lot with the fact that the Czechs have been occupied so many times and been under Communist control. No one trusted anyone else, so everyone just started to keep to themselves (this is what I learned today on my tour). They love Americans though, which is great for me.
After getting directions I finally found the Tram stop and got on. I bought a ticket at the cigarette shop next to the station, and apparently was supposed to stamp it when I got on, but didn't so I can use it again! Nice. FINALLY after one transfer stop I arrived at the stop near my school and COULD NOT for the life of me figure out what the street names were because they aren't apparent on the corners. I stood there staring at the streets for a while, which I guess looked a little funny because when I looked to my right a guy was staring in the same direction as I was, trying to figure out what I was staring at. He looked at me, I shrugged, then he shrugged, and we both walked away.
Then I looked at the side of the building and "AH-HA!" all the street names are on the sides of the buildings. So I followed my map and found my school! Good Job, me. I got there and met two American students, Spencer and Shannon from Vassar College and Redlands College, really nice people. Also this guy Metin and this girl Didim from Turkey. We learned about our projects and the schedule and saw some example films. I can't believe all of the resources I will have access to! They have permission to use basically any site and actually have bought a hospital room because so many of the films have used a hospital bed in one of the scenes! There is a list of actors, both Czech and English speaking who are looking for work and will be in our films and the school helps to find exactly the kind of person we are looking for. I am living the filmmaker's dream.
Then we went on the tour of the city which was....unbelievable. It's so historic and beautiful and so liberal. Over 90% of the country is Atheist and all of the churches which were built during the time of King Charles IV (whom the famous Charles bridge is named for and who was very religious)are just used for concerts now. No one prays in them or uses them for worship. Charles IV wanted Czechoslovakia to be a Catholic country. Slovakia is. Czech said fuck you- there is no God. So no one cares about anything- sex, drugs, homosexuality- no big fucking deal! There is so much I could tell you about the city's history, but this post would be so long. It is beautiful and interesting and you should google some information about it. My tour guide says, "The Czech Republic...it is like cockroach. It never die." It has been through so much but still thrives- amazing really.
I still haven't met my roommates, hopefully they will be there when I get back. I'm kind of nervous to live with dudes. They are extremely tidy, though. I hope they like me :)
There is only one other girl in my section and her name is Shannon. She's super nice and actually knows Margie's friend, Maya! Small world.
Okay, well I'm glad I got a chance to fill everyone in. I am happy and healthy and the beer is good. I am going to go get a big furry hat (faux fur)so that I can fit in. And be warm. Party tonight. Rad. I'll tell you more when I can. Love and miss you all!
ps- my first project is actually one minute long and has to take place on or around a park bench. any ideas?
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You crack me up! I was laughing so much that Andrew had to "czech" you out too. I just love your stories. And I'm so happy to hear that your adventures have begun! The city and the people sound so interesting, and should provide plenty of inspiration for your work :) The school sounds awesome too! You have to make a scene set in a hospital, just so you can use the room. I love you so much! Keep the posts coming! (I definitely want to hear about the roomies...)
ReplyDelete'Hmmm - for your first project.., perhaps someone posing as AquaLung (Jethro Tull, 1971).
ReplyDeletea certain someone comes to mind....